Throw away the razors, men — it’s Movember mustache time.
City Dads Group is once again asking its members to grow mustaches (or maybe do a little exercise) to support The Movember Foundation, a leading global organization dedicated to bringing awareness to serious health concerns for men such as testicular cancer, prostate cancer, mental health and suicide.
The November campaign challenges dudes (and those who love them) to grow Movember mustaches or exercise daily during the month. This is done to spark conversation and raise funds for research related to men’s physical and mental health issues. The cause hopes to combat such alarming statistics such as:
- one in nine men being diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lives
- three of every four suicides are men.
Since its founding in 2003, the Movember Foundation has raised hundreds of millions of dollars to help fund more than 1,200 men’s health projects, according to its website.
You can help our Movember mustache team and the cause in several ways:
- Sign up and grow a mustache: Shave your mug on Oct. 31 and then start growing a Movember mustache the next day … but first, join our team through our Movember Dads page. Next, show off your fuzzy upper to all, in person and on social media, and tell them why you are growing it. Don’t forget to ask for a donation to help the cause.
- Get a move on: If you can’t grow a mo (because you are of the female persuasion, because it would jeopardize your work or marriage — for whatever reason, no judgment here) you can still help out. Commit to walk or run 60 miles in the month — one mile for each of the 60 men we lose every hour worldwide to suicide — join our Movember Dads team, then start your journey and fundraising.
- Host a Mo-ment: Get together with your Movember supporters for a fancy dinner, a sporting event or maybe a Nov. 1 “shave off” to get the ball rolling and draw attention to the cause.
City Dads Group, starting with its founding NYC Dads Group outpost in 2011, has helped raise more than $123,000 in direct donations and sponsorship matches to support the Movember Foundation and its partners.