During the summer, some families are fortunate to take a vacation out of the city and some take a staycation in the city. As we head into the summer months, I thought it was a good time to share a few ideas for stay at home dads & all parents in New York City. I am inspired by my parent discussion yesterday at the 92nd Street Y Parenting Center on summer activities to do with your baby in NYC. If you are heading outdoors, grab a blanket, sunscreen, bubbles, and find a shady spot in Central Park or any local park in your hood. There are mini-playgrounds all over the place that have swings and slides which my son has really taken a liking to. Here are just a few more ideas:
- Rooftop at MET Museum – see one of the nicest views of central park & admission is included in general museum admission (strollers not allowed with latest exhibit so bring your carrier)
- Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum – New exhibit – Doodle 4 Google: What I Wish for the World presents thirty-nine designs selected among tens of thousands of entries submitted by K–12 students from all fifty states + hang out in their gardens with lawn, chairs, and umbrellas
- NY Public Library Children’s Center at 42nd street – Go indoors to read some stories with your kids on comfy bean bag chairs OR sit outside in Bryant Park (they have an outdoor reading section in the shade where you can borrow children’s books, newspapers, magazines, etc)
- Find an outdoor cafe to chill or grab a drink like the Boat Basin along the West Side River promenade, the Central Park Boathouse outdoor garden, the many cafe’s at South Street Seaport, well you get the idea…
- Hit the Zoo – remember if you plan on using them often, the zoo family pass will be most economical and allow you access to all of them including Bronx Zoo & Coney Island Aquarium
- Catch a day baseball game – check out one of the new stadiums or hit the ballpark in Coney Island to see the Cyclones.
- Hit the Beach – take the ferry to Watertaxi Beach where they ship in sand and create a man-made paradise.
- Check out Governors Island – open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from May 30th through October 11th
- Carl Shurz Park – checkout his nice esplanade on the upper East Side to find some peace or enjoy their summer activities like movie nights and live music throughout the summer
New York City has a ton of options for family fun summer activities. Do not get caught up sitting at home all day with your AC, and be a tourist in your own city. Please share some of your favorite things to do in NYC during the summer.
Baseball photo courtesy of N.Y. Mets.