Even though registration has been open since Father’s Day, I have finally gotten around to registering for one of the most anticipated and fulfilling fatherhood events of the year anywhere in the U.S. The 16th Annual At-Home Dads Convention will be happening in Washington D.C. on October 8th.
Is it worth attending is the first question you may ask yourself? Can I Afford it? & How much does it cost is the second question?
Costs: Registration Fee: Only $60 (if you register before Aug 22 and then it goes up $15) – Registration includes:
- Full day of educational sessions, workshops, panels, and discussions
- FREE Catered lunch from popular DC restaurant
- FREE drinks at Friday night Meet & Greet Social
- FREE Convention T-shirt and drawings for great prizes
- FREE parenting book for first-time attendees
Other costs include $30 for the Saturday night dinner at Joe Theisman’s restaurant (incl Tax & Tip) + if you stay and hotel fee of $139 (incl. free breakfast) for a room at Embassy Suites (old town) which could be shared if you have a bunkmate. Basically, if you split the room fee, it’s $160 for two days in D.C. – Very affordable compared to other parenting events, and conventions.
Let’s get back to why you should attend?
1. Keynote- Listening to our Wives: What working women say about at-home dads. Dr. Aaron Rochlen, Associate Professor in Counseling Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, will discuss the practical implications of his recently published study of women married to at-home dads.
2. Other educational sessions will include: Dad-to-Dad Age-Group Open Forum Discussions, At-Home Work Outs for At-Home Dads, How to Start a Safe Routes to School Program, Making Dad Blogs Great, Being a Good Sports Parent, Growing Your At-Home Dad Group, and much MUCH MORE!!!
3. A chance to hang out & connect with about 75 – 100 active, fun, and involved dads from all over the country
Still not convinced: Check out our post from last year! As of now, it looks like at least four of us from the NYC Dads Group will be attending. We will keep our audience updated as we get closer to this wonderful event!