Movember 2018 has arrived, so men — put down the razors.
The month of November is also known as “Movember” with “mo” being short for mustache. During these 30 days, men around the globe are getting fuzzy on the upper lip to help raise fund and aware of men’s health issues such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer and suicide prevention.
City Dads Group members are once again joining the good fellows in three other fatherhood-friendly organizations to sprout a living awareness ribbon under our noses to support the The Movember Foundation in its mission.
The Movember Foundation is a leading global organization committed to literally and figuratively changing the face of men’s health. It challenges men to grow mustaches (or, for the facial hair challenged — exercise daily) during the month to spark conversation and raise funds for research. Since starting in 2003, the organization has raised hundreds of millions of dollars to help fund more than 1,200 men’s health projects, according to its website. Its goal is to reduce the number of men dying prematurely by 25 percent.
+ + Join/donate to our Movember 2018 team + +
For Movember 2018, City Dads Groups is again creating a team of fundraising fathers with Life of Dad social network, Dad 2.0 Summit conference and The National At-Home Dad Network.
You can help us in several ways:
- Sign up and grow a mo’: Start by fulling shaving and then grow a mustache this month. Then join our team through our Movember 2018 page. Then go forward show off your whiskers to all, in person and on social media, and tell them why you are growing them.
- Get a move on: A few years ago, the Movember Foundation added exercise into its challenge. Instead of growing a ‘stache, join our team and log your exercise time on your profile, set goals for yourself, and track your progress.
- Donate/raise funds: In addition to raising awareness, raise some cash for the cause! Funds help organizations like The Prostate Cancer Foundation and go toward future campaigns and awareness programs.
City Dads Group, starting with its founding NYC Dads Group outpost in 2011, has raised more than $100,000 in direct donations and sponsorship matches in the past five years with our fellow #MovemberDads mustaches partners.
You can learn more about Movember 2018 and the men’s health causes it supports by checking out a few of these past Modern Dads Podcasts:
- Interview with J.J. Owens, Movember Foundation director of development
- Discussion of depression and other mental health issues with three City Dads Group members
- Interview with Dr. Sally Spencer-Thomas, founder of suicide prevention organization the Carson J. Spencer Foundation
Leave a Reply