“Midwinter recess” arrives soon for NYC public schools so it’s time to break out your list of best February school break activities to keep the kids entertained.
Don’t panic – we’ve got your back on this one.
Start with our list of best family and kids’ winter activities in and around NYC. The skating rinks, indoor play spaces and the like listed here are proven winners … although we can’t guarantee that there will be snow for sledding that week.
Museums offering February school break activities
Make sure you check the event calendars of your favorite NYC museums and public venues. Many offer special February school break activities and programs, sometimes at little to no cost. Some of our favorites include:
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum – Three days of programming from NASA including full-scale models of the Mars Perseverance rover and Ingenuity helicopter. Mars scientists and engineers will offer demonstrations and exhibitions.
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan (that’s it in the top photo)
- New York Hall of Science (read about past great events we experienced there) – Expected to reopen in February. Check website before going.
- Brooklyn Children’s Museum – Hosting a Black Future Festival – a week of forward-looking fun that features dance performances, interactive storytelling, hands-on activities, and more! Also, you can book skating time on its new rooftop rink!
- NY Transit Museum
Looking for something a little different that kids and the kid in you will love? Try the Museum of Illusions on 77 8th Ave., for amazing and magical trip that will confide your senses.
Take in a show or movie
New York has a vibrant live theater scene for children as well as adults. So along with trying to score some discount Broadway show tickets, check out a few of favorite children’s theaters. Several offer extra weekday shows during the midwinter recess school break so you can make some memories:
- Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre – Wake Up, Daisy! tells the story of Daisy, a lively little girl living in the heart of New York City in an apartment overlooking Central Park. At Daisy’s much-anticipated birthday party, she encounters three special guestswho grant her the gifts of courage, knowledge, and a second chance. (Read about a past show we saw there)
- The New Victory Theater – Circus and science collide with Air Play. With knowing smiles and suitcases full of surprises, this comedic duo elicits gales of laughter as they transform ordinary objects into uncommon beauty.
If the play isn’t your thing, how about a movie? If there’s nothing at your local multiplex, The Museum of the Moving Image always has family friendly exhibits to check out and they also offer special family matinee screenings during school breaks.
Parks for all seasons
If you want to get your kids out in the fresh air (or at least physically or mentally active indoors), don’t overlook our great NYC parks programs while looking for the best in February school break activities. Visit the NYC Parks School Break page for midwinter recess listings on the many programs and events offered in every borough on your children’s days off. Most of these events are free!
Even more things to do
One of your best resources to find things for your kids to do, whether its midwinter recess / February school break or any ol’ weekend, is Time Out Kids: New York City. Browse the home page if you like for the latest and definitely click the “Things to Do” tab for update lists of things happening today through the new month.
Photos: Children’s Museum of Manhattan (top), NYGovParks.org (below)