For the past week, hundreds of members of the dad blogging community, their friends and their families have been using social media to petition online retailer Amazon to change the name of its “Amazon Mom” program in the United States to the more inclusive “Amazon Family.” The program, which offers discounts on child care products, already goes by this name in the United Kingdom, France, Japan and Germany among others. It is unclear why the program doesn’t use this name in the United States.
Despite the thousands of tweets, blog posts and Facebook posts and numerous reports by major media outlets, Amazon has yet to comment – not even with a “no comment.”
Here’s some of the coverage, which features several City Dads Group members
- CNN.com: Dad blogger’s death prompts renewed push to rename ‘Amazon Mom’
- Fox Business: Dads campaign to get ‘Amazon Mom’ name changed
- Parenting.com: Push to Change “Amazon Mom” to “Family” Renewed After Dad Blogger’s Death
- Huffington Post: Where Do Gay Dads Fit into ‘Amazon Mom’
- PIX-11 New York: Amazon Mom creates backlash from families that fall outside the norm
- Chicago Tribune: Dad bloggers push Amazon to rename Amazon Mom program
You can help the campaign to make “Amazon Family” a reality in these ways:
- Use social media with the hashtag #AmazonFamilyUS to let @Amazon know that it has work to do.
- Sign this petition at http://bit.ly/AmazonFamilyUS calling for the name change.
- Email Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos at email@example.com and let him know the time is now.