Every summer since I became a dad, I have taken advantage of Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express. For the price of $1 a person, you can sit inside an air-conditioned building. It doesn’t matter to me what movie is playing as long as I can soak in a few minutes of cool air on someone else’s electric bill.
The Regal Cinemas, located throughout the United States, do a great job at making the experience easy on parents too. The sound isn’t as loud as normal and they keep the lights dim in some areas of the theater. If you’re expecting a nice quiet morning at the movies, you’d better stay home. The audience is full of kids talking, babies crying, and parents yelling, “Get back here!” My family fits right in.
If you are looking for ways to cool off or keep your kids from bugging you about boredom, click here to find a participating Regal Cinema near you.
Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express Schedule
- Week 1 – Hotel Transylvania, The Smurfs 2
- Week 2 – Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, The Pirates: Band of Misfits
- Week 3 – Arthur Christmas, Despicable Me 2
- Week 4 – The Lego Movie, Free Birds
- Week 5 – The Adventures of Tintin, Rise of the Guardians
- Week 6 – Kung Fu Panda 2, Madagascar 3
- Week 7 – The Croods, Epic
- Week 8 – Turbo, Walking with Dinosaurs
- Week 9 – Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Rio 2
*For the week of 7/13/14, NYC is on week 2
Editor’s Note: A version of this first appeared on One Good Dad.